Minto Heritage Plaque: Palmerston Railway Walking Bridge

City
Palmerston
Province
Ontario
Country
Canada
Postal Code
N0G2P0

In 1871, the grand Western Railway line through Palmerston was completed. As the mid-point between Lake Huron, Owen Sound and southern Ontario. Palmerston was an important railway hub where the Grand trunk, Great Western, Stratford & Huron, and Wellington Grey & Bruce railways converged. In 1885, the Grand Trunk incorporated these lines and made significant improvements that by 1903 included a twenty three acre rail yard, twelve tracks, repair shop roundhouse, and turntable. Although the railway helped the local economy, the expansion of the rail yard through Queen Street posed a serious threat to pedestrians. To ensure public safety, the Railway Commission of Canada ordered the town to close Queen Street and in 1911 the Grand Trunk built a 700' steel pedestrian bridge over the yard. The yard closed, and in 1998 the town purchased the site. 

Erected in 2003 by the Town of Minto heritage Association with the assistance of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. 

Regions