A flourishing village in the township of Minto. It is one of the main stations of the Wellington, Grey and Bruce Railway. It contains flouring, shingle, planing and steam saw mills, woolen and cabinet factories, a foundry and brick yard., Presbyterian, Wesleyan and Episcopal churches.
Clifford: 7 miles
Walkerton: 25 miles
Guelph: 40 miles
Population about 500
Harriston has a bright prospect before it, situated as it is in the centre of a rich and fertile agricultural district. Its public and private buildings compare favourably with those of older towns, and during the present season a splendid three-storey brick building with mansard roof has been erected by Alexander Meiklejohn, Esq. The building contains two stores, one 80' x 26', and the other 45' x 26'; these each have basements. The entire building is an ornament to the village.
The principal manufacturing establishments are the Harriston Agricultural Works, established in 1869, by R.G. Lambert, proprietor. The main building is 50' x 42', moulding shop 24' x 36', blacksmith and tin shops 20' x 30' each. Steam power is used and ten hands are employed, turning out stoves, agricultural furnaces, cultivators, ploughs, straw cutters, turnip cutters, fanning mills, turnip scufflers, gang plows, etc.
Silas Welte, cabinet and chair manufacturer, uses an engine of 16 horse power, and employs six hands in the manufacture of every description of furniture. The works were established in 1869. The building is a two-storey frame, 20' x 66'. In connection with the factory there is a planing mill.
J.D. McEachern established in 1869 a woolen factory, two stories high, 24' x 75', and a shingle factory, 52' x 34'. He employs six hands and steam power; manufactures woolen cloths, knitted goods and shingles. The shingle factory has a capacity of 200 bunches per week.
Dowling & Lighton are largely engaged in the manufacture of sash, blind, doors, mouldings, planed lumber etc.
The Champion Works, B. Mitchell, proprietor, established in 1871, are built of wood, 40' x 72'. Steam power to the extent of twenty-horse and ten hands are employed in the manufacture of wood sawing machines, ploughs, harrows, horse rakes, reapers and mowers, pumps, farm gates, bob sleighs, etc.