The Harriston Cemetery is located on Jessie Street at the southern end of Harriston.
Brief History: The “History of Minto 1978” notes more Minto’s pioneers are buried in the Harriston Cemetery than in all the other county “graveyards”.
The first Harriston Cemetery is noted to be at “Archie Harrison’s south end lots east of King Street between Pellister and Lorne Street”. This site was jointly used by the village and the township until “a dry and sandy rise beyond the woods on Jessie Street” was bought and the current cemetery established in 1881.
History notes “at once many bodies were moved” to new plots in the “new” cemetery. The original Harriston cemetery remained until 1936 before it was closed having become overgrown and in disrepair. It was reported “remains were removed to the present cemetery along with headstones”. These stones are lined along the west road, although the vital statistics are hard to read, an issue 80 years ago when they were relocated. “In 1940 a cairn of field stones was dedicated to the memory of Harriston and Minto pioneers”.