Brief History: This cemetery within the Village of Clifford was used as a community cemetery. A Plan filed 1873 in the Land Registry Office indicated the cemetery encompassed eight town lots (18-21 & 49-52) on the east & west side of Brown St. and north of Geddes.
The cemetery lands were bequeathed in 1880 to Clifford Village by Francis Brown in his will; in it he referred to the cemetery as “Clifford Cemetery.” Based on subsequent land transfers, it appears that only lots 49 & 50 were used for burials.
Old Clifford Cemetery was located near three churches: In 1885, the Episiscopal Church was situated on the next lot south-east the Methodist Church was situated two lots south-west (both on Geddes St.) and the Presbyterian Church one street south-east on Allan St.
The “new” Clifford Cemetery, Howick Twp., Huron County, just north of Clifford was opened 1886. By 1936 the bodies had been removed and relocated to the new Clifford Cemetery.