The Palmerston Cemetery is located on Highway 23 just outside of Palmerston.
Brief History: According to “History of Wellington County circa 1996”, before 1872 Palmerston’s cemetery was situated on Prospect Street at Queen. December 12, 1876 the Town of Palmerston bought the current “10 acre” site at Lot 26 Concession 1 in Minto Township.
The history states it is “believed” that graves from the Prospect Street site were moved to the new property. This is a much less definite statement than that same history makes regarding relocating remains in Harriston.
While this creates some intrigue, there are no known reports of Prospect Street re-developments unearthing remains of early Palmerston pioneers.
According to Wellington County historical research a public school was located on the site of the first cemetery