Built in 1875: Original home of David H. Clegg
Occupation: Teamster & Police Constable
The front half of this house was the original, built in 1875 and the back part added in 1880. David Clegg also owned Lot 31 Thoms St N. on which the barn housed the horse stable. He worked as a self-employed teamster. Later he was hired as Police Constable for the Town of Harriston. James Bailey, local blacksmith and carriage maker, who built the large house on lot 10 Elora St N. held the mortgage on this property for a time.
Former oners: 1875 David H. & Elizabeth Clegg, 1883 Samuel R. Lennox, 1883 back to Elizabeth Clegg, same year 1883 to William J. Stewart. 1887 John J. Bradley. It stays in the Bradley family for 541 years and in 1941 Mary and Geraldine Bradley sell to Charles Albert Downer.