Built in 1877: Original home of Samuel M. & Martha Groff
Occupation: Store Merchant
Samuel Groff's occupation was a store merchant in the Alexander McCready Block on Lot 23 Elora St. S. in 1876 and was a tenant there until he built this home in 1877. This residence once served Harriston as a private Hospital operated by Mrs. Eliza Copland.
Former House Owners:
Selected excerpts from the Deeds and Registry Office
1871, February 15 John Webb and his wife sold the property, which consisted of 4 lots
(Lots 23 & 24 on the south side of John St and Lots 23 & 24 on the
north side of Margaret Street) to Samuel Robertson (referred to as a
general agent and a manufacturer) and his wife, Margaret-Ann
1876, July 21 The Robertsons sold to Martha and Samuel Groff (Martha's maiden
name was Robertson and Samuel was a general merchant).
1886, February 12 Martha & Samuel Groff sold to JAmes M. Watson (bank manager) for
$1800 and they moved to Berlin (Kitchener).
1876-1887 Ownership changed back and forth between James Watson and his
brother Samuel Watson Jr. (a yeoman).
1888, October 17 James M. and his wife Louisa Watson sold to Annette and John
Hamilton (a jeweller).
1893 On April 20, Thomas Dunbar (a grocer) paid $100 of total price of
$1500 towards the purchase of the property which took place on
September 15 from the Hamiltons.
1901, February 7 Thomas and Susannah Dunbar sold to William Clark Chambers (a
contractor) for $1,850.
1926, September 4 William and Jennie Chambers sold to William and Eliza Copland
1938 William Copland had been a farmer and died on June 16
1943 Eliza Copland sold to sisters, Winnie, Humilitas, Alberta and Natalia
Goetz. Eliza Copland died May 19, 1948.
1945, March 1 Alberta Goetz sold her share to her sisters for $1.
1946, April 15 The Goetz sisters sold to David and Norma Kaster.
1947, April 11 The Kasters sold to Frederick Hardy and the property became known
as the F.W. Hardy Funeral Mome.
1953 Frederick & Elizabeth Hardy built the house on the corner of Brock
and Margaret Street. Robert and Mabel Hardy had married and lived
in the house at 44 John St.
1963 Robert and Mabel Hardy took over the ownership of the funeral home
and furniture business from his father.
1966 Extensive renovations were completed to provide a large chapel area
for visitation and services.
1979 The embalming room, casket selection room and arrangement office
were moved to the funeral home from the previous location at the
furniture store on Elora Street.