Built in 1890: Original home of John Howes.
Lot purchased in 1888 by John Howes. Assessment and mortgage shows house built in 1890. John worked as a sawyer for Walter Dryden of Lot 22 Con. 15 of Minto Twp. before moving to Harriston to partner with George Leighton in the sawmill business located across from the CNR Station later known as the Howes Lumber Yard. This house stayed in the Howes family for over 80 years. One owner, Elmer Howes was the auto license issuing in Harriston agent for many years.
Former owners: 1890 John Howes, 1901 Janet Howes, 1933 Agnes Howes, 1947 Elmer Howes then to Evelyne Howes, Roy & Judy Heipel.