Plaque #H49 Heritage Home

Organization
Plaque #H49 Heritage Home
Address
153 Margaret Street S
City
Harriston
Postal Code
N0G 1Z0
Contact Name
Minto Heritage Association

Built in 1879: Original home of John Ivel.

Occupation:

Bricklayer

Brief History:

This lot, as most on this side of town, was first owned by John Webb, the first settler in Harriston in 1848.  He sold it to Samuel Robertson, box manufacturer on Mill St. and it sat vacant until John Ivel purchased the property in September of 1878.  Assessment shows him building the house in 1879.  He was a bricklayer/mason.

Former owners:  1879-John Ivel, 1905-William and Myretta Behrms, 1913-Leonard Wright, 1914-James Barber, 1922-Mary McLellan, 1947-Donald Dodds, 1951-Nathan Williams

Regions