Plaque #H51 Heritage Building

Organization
Plaque #H51 Heritage Building
Address
6 Elora Street S
City
Harriston
Postal Code
N0G 1Z0
Contact Name
Minto Heritage Association

Built in 1862: Original owner was Alexander McCready

Occupation:

Merchant/Postmaster

Brief History:

Lot 23 was purchased by Mr. McCready in 1862 from George Harrison and wife.  He came to Harriston in 1859 and opened a general store on Elora St. N. and was also superintendent of the Post Office.  After purchasing lot 23 S., he built the existing structure, although modified through time, and relocated his store and Post Office.  This building had two stores and a Post Office all with living quarters above.  Later, (above the now Four Season's Floral Shop), the Masonic Lodge held their meetings and services and  one time a Church held services here.  The Post Office was in the middle and various stores on the corner part, which is now a legal office.  Over the years there has been a quality clothing business, butcher shop, post office, flower shop, Don Grill's restaurant, pizza store and a lawyer's office that have occupied part of this lot.

Regions