Historic Sites

St. Thomas Roman Catholic Church

Built in 1873 by the Township of Minto for a Municipal building which housed the Council Chambers and their business offices of the day. Sold to the Roman Catholic Church in 1930 for a place of worship, who have since made renovations for the convenience of their members and visitors.

Plaque #M11: Palmerston Railway Walking Bridge

In 1871, the grand Western Railway line through Palmerston was completed. Although the railway helped the local economy, the expansion of the rail yard through Queen Street posed a serious threat to pedestrians. To ensure public safety, the Railway Commission of Canada ordered the town to close Queen Street and in 1911 the Grand Trunk built a 700' steel pedestrian bridge over the yard. The yard closed, and in 1998 the town purchased the site.

Regions