Locations

Tuffy MacDougall

Don "Tuffy" MacDougall served “B” Troop of the 100th Light, Anti-Aircraft Battery out of Guelph from March 1941 through “Cease Fire” May 8 1945 into September of 1945. The 100th was part of the 4th Canadian Infantry Division. Tuffy’s military story is mostly about times with people away from the war and with those he served. He spoke less about combat details. Those who knew Tuffy said he was about people and his experiences around them.

Minto Heritage Plaque: Palmerston Railway Walking Bridge

In 1871, the grand Western Railway line through Palmerston was completed. Although the railway helped the local economy, the expansion of the rail yard through Queen Street posed a serious threat to pedestrians. To ensure public safety, the Railway Commission of Canada ordered the town to close Queen Street and in 1911 the Grand Trunk built a 700' steel pedestrian bridge over the yard. The yard closed, and in 1998 the town purchased the site.

Davie's Antiques

Located on the main street of Harriston, Davie’s Antiques has offered antique furnishings, collectibles, books, china and other items for over twenty years.

Tannery Park

Nestled in Harriston’s downtown, Tannery Park lies directly over top of the Maitland River. Its features include a historic mural, flower beds, and a grass-lined path at the rear of the park.

West Meadow Press

Run by Wesley Bates, West Meadow Press is a small print shop featuring multiple letterpresses. Adjacent to the Wesley Bates Gallery, it provides a street-side view of an artist at work.

Old 81

Engine 81 is a steam engine nicknamed ‘Old 81’ by the residents of Palmerston. Resting on its own track in the Palmerston Lions Heritage Park, it proudly surveys the downtown area. ‘Old 81’ turned one hundred years old in 2010.

Harry Stone's Pizzaburger & Ale House

Harry Stone’s is a local restaurant and pub featuring live music and entertainment throughout the year. Located in the historic Collison House hotel in downtown Harriston.

Minto Heritage Plaque: Rev. Smithhurst

Reverend john Smithurst was ordained by the Church of England in 1939 and served as a missionary to the aboriginal people at the Red River Settlements in Manitoba for twelve years. He settled in the Township of Minto in 1852 when he was appointed Rector of St. John's Anglican church in Elora, Ontario.

Regions